WASHINGTON — The Education Department says it’ll miss a key deadline in its push to ease regulations for for-profit colleges.
A rule being drafted by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is meant to lower protections for students swindled by their schools. So the delay, laid out in a court filing late Tuesday, is a victory for student borrowers.
The department says it won’t meet the Nov. 1 deadline to publish the new regulation because of pending litigation and the large number of comments it’s received from educators and other groups. As a result, the new rule won’t take effect until the summer of 2020.
Aaron Ament is president of the National Student Legal Defense Network. He calls it “a tremendous victory for students.”
The Education Department isn’t commenting.
Military Groups, Vets Urge Government to Keep Pressure on Fraud
Twenty-eight veterans groups and military service organizations have called on the Trump administration to scrap deregulation proposals that they said would limit oversight of “bad actor” schools preying on veterans using the GI Bill.
In a letter last month to Education Secretary Betsy DeVos, the organizations urged her “to strengthen, not discard, common-sense protections against waste, fraud and abuse by bad actor colleges.”